BEST LOW CARB KETO YOGURT. Is yogurt keto? How many carbs in yogurt? Answering it all, plus make the BEST, creamy, easy, low carb keto yogurt recipe – with only 2g net carbs!
WHY IS MY YOGURT WATERY?
Because of a couple of reasons, your yogurt may end up watery:
It may have separated. This won’t happen because this recipe is naturally very thick, but it’s easy to fix if it does. Simply strain it, pour off the liquid/blend it.
It needs more time to ferment. When you first set it out, your keto yogurt mixture will be liquid, and will firm up as it ferments. You can continue to ferment for longer if it’s still very thin overall.
- 1/4 cup Almonds
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp Gelatin powder
- 1/4 tsp Liquid sunflower lecithin (optional, to reduce separation and for texture)
- 2 Probiotic capsules
- Eaton Hemp Hearts
- Sliced almonds
- Coconut chips
- (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)Berries
- Sugar-free jam
- In the dishwasher/with hot, soapy water, sterilize 2 16-oz jars. Dry and put it aside.
- To make almond milk, use the almonds and water using these instructions. (Unless you want to add them you don’t need the vanilla and salt in that recipe.) Do not use store bought almond milk – from fermenting properly, the preservatives will prevent your keto yogurt.
- Into a medium saucepan, place the homemade almond milk and cream over medium-low heat.
- Heat gently, for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until around the edges, bubbles form. (Depending on your pan material, time can vary significantly – mine was a cast iron saucepan like this.) Do not simmer/boil.
- Over the saucepan, sprinkle (don’t dump) the gelatin and whisk until it gets dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle in the sunflower lecithin and until it gets dissolved, whisk.
- Into the sterilized jars, pour the cream mixture. For about TWENTY minutes, let the jars sit at room temperature, until the mixture is below 110 degrees F, but still above 100 degrees F. A higher temperature will kill the probiotic cultures so this is critical.
- Over each jar, open/cut one probiotic and stir in the powder. Cover with lids.
- Turn on your oven light (not the oven) to incubate your yogurt. On a sheet pan, place the jars and place in the oven, for 12-24 hours, with the door closed and light on, depending on how sour you want your keto yogurt to be.
- Refrigerate, when the yogurt is done until it gets cold. Stir well as it will be thick.
- Enjoy topped with Eaton Hemp Hearts!
Amount per serving.