Prior to deciding to live a low-carb, ketogenic lifestyle, I enjoyed my weekends. A warm bowl of comfortable hot cereal or porridge was made for the weekends.
It wasn’t as filling as my usual low-carb breakfast, but it was still a tasty treat!
I’ve been enjoying hot cereal once more, and THIS is the greatest low-carb variety thanks to Sukrin’s defatted almond flour. I wasn’t sure what to make of the Sukrin Almond Flour when I first looked at it. It isn’t at all like the blanched ground almonds I’m used to using in baking—dry it’s and powdery. For other ingredients to absorb, more liquid and time are needed. Even though I’ll freely admit that I haven’t used it much in baking, it is ideal in this low-carb, paleo porridge.
The defatted almond flour wasn’t quite the right consistency on its own. In an effort to find the ideal texture, I alternately added protein powder, oat fibre, sesame flour, and blanched almond flour. The first few bowls lacked that silky, wet mouth feel I recalled and were chalky and dry.
The secret components? an egg and flax. A beaten egg adds thickness and creaminess to the texture, and golden flax meal gives the cohesion I was looking for. This hot ketogenic cereal has a texture that I would compare to that of thick oats without lumps and cream of wheat.
One bag of Sukrin Defatted Almond Flour yielded 18 servings, or roughly 75 cents of product per serving.
You may make your own low-carb brown sugar by mixing 1 cup of granulated sweetener with 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, which results in 1 net carb per tablespoon (Sukrin Gold has 0 carbohydrates per tablespoon). I ADORE it.
Substitutions for a dairy-free or paleo diet include adding honey or maple syrup as a sweetener, swapping butter for ghee or coconut oil, and switching heavy cream for almond or coconut milk.
Add your preferred toppings as a garnish, but don’t forget to keep an eye on the carbs.
CAN OATMEAL BE EATEN WHEN ON A LOW CARB DIET?
A grain is oats. Additionally, even though you may find oatmeal without gluten, oats do have a lot of carbohydrates in them. Actually, you can obtain more nutrients without raising your blood sugar levels in other places.
KETO OATMEAL RECIPE Variations
You might try the following substitutions:
2 tablespoons each of whey protein powder, flax meal, and almond flour are combined with 12 cup each of water and 1/4 cup of almond milk (for an extra protein kick)
PORRIDGE WITH CONCAIN
Flax meal, 1/4 cup coconut milk, and 2 tablespoons coconut flour
Keto Porridge Almond Flour
- Sukrin Defatted Almond Flour, 3 tablespoons
- a teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of ground golden flax
- 1 big beaten egg and 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar with fewer carbs (or your favourite sweetener to taste)
- 1 tbsp of creamier milk (or coconut milk)
- Strawberries, 1 ounce
- 10 grammes of raspberries
- 50 g of blueberries
- The traditional method is to place a small saucepan with the first four ingredients in it over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low as the mixture starts to simmer and whisk until it thickens and gets hot.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Reheat the porridge over medium heat while whisking vigorously until it thickens.
- After 30 more seconds of whisking, turn the heat off.
- Butter (ghee), cream, and your preferred sweetener should all be whisked in (or coconut milk).
- Enjoy this low-carb almond porridge topped with your favorite toppings!
- Instructions for the microwave: In a bowl that can be heated in the microwave, thoroughly combine all of the ingredients. Cook on high for 30 second intervals while stirring, until hot and thick.
2 net carbohydrates in the cereal
The cereal has 6 net carbohydrates, as indicated. Nutritional data Porridge made with almonds (low carb cereal)
Calories per serving: 287Calories from fat: 189% of the daily value*
16g32% of protein