This Keto Ultimate Low-Carb Deep Dish Lasagna is perfect if you’re heading to a holiday party, having some friends over to watch the big game, or just needing to keep a growing family.
With just a few carbohydrates, it’s such a hearty recipe. We reduce the carbohydrate count by more than 50% by swapping pasta sheets used in traditional recipes.
In order for the meal to be overall satisfying, the layers of vegetables provide the heartiness that you still need. Plus, by using the veggies, you’re “sneaking” in a variety of vitamins.
Drying them on paper towels is the only thing I caution you to do after slicing up the vegetables. It will yield for a much better lasagna and yeah, it’s kind of a pain in the butt.
A suitable baking pan for your deep dish lasagna is the last thing you’ll need.
PREP TIME 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME 1 HOUR
TOTAL TIME 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
Ingredients for 9 hearty servings
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2lb 95% lean beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 jars (~38oz) favorite low-calorie marinara
- 20oz (~566g) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- (optional) 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 medium squash
- 2 medium (~1 1/4 lb) eggplants
- Two medium zucchini
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- Deep dish baking pan
- Set oven to 420F.
- On medium high heat, set a nonstick skillet, add olive oil, garlic and chopped onion. Sauté and being careful not to burn the garlic, brown the onions.
- Add the ground beef after increasing the heat of the skillet. As it cooks with the onions, chop up.
- Sprinkle in sea salt & pepper and Italian seasoning and until the meat is well chopped in the skillet, continue cooking. (note: if there are still pink pieces, it is ok).
- Put marinara and fold everything together. Turn heat to low, then simmer and to allow the flavors to meld, cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix together ricotta and egg whites in a separate bowl. Put it aside.
- Slice the veggies vertically into strips using a mandolin(recommended) /sharp knife, slightly thicker than a nickel. (Pro-Tip: On a paper towel, pat the veggies dry and for about 20 minutes or even overnight in the fridge, allow them to rest on the paper towels. Since veggies hold a lot of water, this will help reduce the amount of water in the lasagna.)
- Build the lasagna. Add a layer of squash, meat sauce, half of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle of parmesan, layer of eggplant, meat sauce, ricotta mix, sprinkle of parmesan, zucchini, remaining meat sauce , mozzarella in a baking pan.
- Cover with foil, then for 35 to 40 minutes, bake. For the last 5 minutes, to allow the top to brown, remove the top foil.