Keto No Bake Tuna Empanadas are a delicious and convenient way to enjoy the flavors of a classic empanada while staying within your low-carb or ketogenic diet. This recipe skips the traditional pastry and instead uses a simple and tasty tuna salad filling enclosed in crisp lettuce leaves. These empanadas make for a quick, satisfying, and low-carb meal or snack that’s perfect for those looking to reduce their carb intake without sacrificing flavor.
Recipe: Keto No Bake Tuna Empanadas
For the Tuna Salad Filling:
- 2 cans (5 oz each) of canned tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (preferably keto-friendly)
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 2 tbsp diced celery
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Large lettuce leaves (such as iceberg or butter lettuce)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Sliced tomatoes (optional)
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- Sliced jalapeños (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
1. Prepare the Tuna Salad Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the drained canned tuna, mayonnaise, diced red onion, diced celery, chopped fresh parsley, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and the juice of half a lemon. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
2. Assemble the Keto Tuna Empanadas:
- Lay a large lettuce leaf flat on a clean surface. This will be your “tortilla.”
- Spoon a portion of the tuna salad mixture onto the center of the lettuce leaf.
- If desired, add slices of avocado, tomato, black olives, and jalapeños on top of the tuna salad.
3. Fold and Serve:
- Carefully fold the sides of the lettuce leaf over the tuna salad mixture, then fold up the bottom to enclose the filling, creating a rectangular or square-shaped “empanada.”
- Secure the empanada with toothpicks if needed.
- Repeat the assembly process with the remaining lettuce leaves and tuna salad mixture.
- Arrange your Keto No Bake Tuna Empanadas on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with hot sauce if you like a bit of heat.
- Calories: 225
- Total Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 450mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 12g