Keto Bread Pudding. Quintessential comfort food at its finest! Imagine while on a keto diet, a healthy low-carb bread pudding that is low in carbs and rich in flavor, making it possible to enjoy.
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 1 HOUR
total time: 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES
- 6 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 4 ounces of full-fat cream cheese, softened
- (reground in coffee/spice grinder)1/2 cup of golden flax meal,
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of water
For The Bread Pudding Custard
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (optional)
Keto Butter Rum Sauce
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons of allulose
- 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of dark rum /1 teaspoon of rum extract
- For the bread pudding, to make the bread, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking pan(9 x 13-inch).
- Combine the eggs, sugar substitute, and softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until it gets fully combined.
- Add the salt, reground flax meal, baking powder, and coconut flour to this mixture. Being sure to scrape the bowl as needed, combine until just mixed.
- To the batter, add the heavy cream and water and mix until it gets fully incorporated.
- Into the prepared baking pan, pour the batter.
- Next, until it gets lightly brown, bake for 30-35 minutes.
- About FIFTEEN to TWENTY minutes before cutting the bread into 1-inch cubes, let all the bread to fully cool.
- Add the cubed bread crumbs in another large mixing bowl.
- Dry the pan after washing it, you used to bake the bread and butter the pan generously.
- On to 350 degrees, turn the oven back.
For the bread pudding custard:
- Bring the heavy cream and water in a medium-sized saucepan to a simmer almost to a boil, then to low, reduce the heat and add the butter.
- Whisk the salt, sugar substitute, vanilla, and eggs in a medium-sized bowl.
- By adding 1/4 cup of the hot cream mixture, temper the egg mixture and mixing well. Into the egg mixture one, stir in the remaining cream mixture combine well.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture in a large mixing bowl over the cubed bread. Being sure that you coat the bread well, toss the mixture. Into the buttered 9×13 inch baking pan, pour the prepared bread, to ensure it is submerged in the egg mixture, being sure to press the bread.
- Sprinkle pecans to the top of the bread pudding now if adding the optional.
- For 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees, bake the prepared bread pudding or until the top of the bread pudding is lightly brown and the egg mixture is set.
Proceed to make the butter rum sauce:
- Brown the salted butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. After 3-4 minutes, the butter will begin to foam and bubble and at the bottom of the pan, flecks of brown bits should start the form. Turn off the stove at this point and continue to stir the butter until it is a light brown color.
- Add the allulose, heavy cream, and salt to the brown butter. Stir well until it gets combined.
- For about FIFTEEN minutes, simmer this sauce over low heat. While it is simmering, it’s important not to stir the sauce. Turn off the stove at the FIFTEEN minute mark and add the rum/rum extract. The sauce will foam if adding pure rum. Place it back on the stove after stirring the sauce and without stirring, cook at low for another TEN minutes again. This will help cook down the alcohol and thicken the sauce.
- Serve into 12 individual servings to serve the bread pudding and over each serving of bread pudding, pour a couple of tablespoons.
- In the refrigerator, store the bread pudding and sauce separately well covered for up to THREE days. Note that after being refrigerated in order to flow easily, the sauce may need to be warmed up.
SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:
TOTAL FAT: 31g
NET CARBOHYDRATES: 3.5g